Saturday, April 23, 2005

I Have More in Common with Chickens than I Thought

The following story/soul searching will be presented in the latest edition of student preacher format. Two apparently unrelated tidbits will be introduced; one will be boring but truthful and the other will be entertaining and random. After the two stories are told they will be linked in a way that no one is really sure they ought to be.

I recently came out of a spell of apathy toward all aspects of my life. There is not a precise moment in time that I can point to when it clicked in my mind, but I can narrow it down and say the process took about three days, five conversations and two late assignments.

I have never raised chickens, but I have eaten many, and I like to be familiar with what I am eating, unless what I am eating is mayonnaise-based or has active cultures, in which case I prefer ignorance so that I can enjoy the food. Chickens are not a mayonnaise-based or active culture... toting? food product, so I am familiar with them. On top of that I watch a lot of cartoons. All this is to say that I am under the impression that chickens identify the first living thing (and sometimes not-living thing) they see as their mother, and they follow it as long as they are young enough to do "that sort of thing."

When I hatched from my shell of despondence, the first thing I saw was Splinter Cell 3: Chaos Theory. Now that I care about life again, all I want to do is play a stupid video game. I am not getting caught up in my classes because of a video game. What is that all about?

So where do we go from here? Well, I don't know about you, but I will be doing all of my Optimal Health work, and not playing Splinter Cell.

You are welcome for the happy ending.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As your brother I am proud of you for realizing that you need to spend more time playing games.

Anonymous said...

Video game controllers are active cultures.

Anonymous said...

Splinter Cell is mayonaise-based.