Wednesday, April 06, 2005

This One Didn't Even Make Me Laugh

I finally got around to reading the warning sticker that is adhered to the cord of my desk lamp, and I want to tell you about it, and I think now is a good time... I hope you have a minute.

Please note that the following quotation marks are not being added to designate that I am quoting directly from the sticker. The quotation marks are part of the original document. For clarity I will italicize the quoted portion. The next paragraph will be the cord sticker document in its entirety.

"WARNING" "RISK OF FIRE / INJURY TO PERSONS. Keep away from combustibles. Turn off / unplug to change bulb. Do not touch bulb. Do not operate without complete bulb enclosure in place or if lens is damaged." "THE LAMP SHOULD BE UNPLUGGED BEFORE REPLACING THE BULB." MADE IN CHINA (emphasis added, see above)
("warning sticker" cord: desktop halogen task lamp issue number BJ-91,767)

Forgive me if I failed to site the sticker properly, but there is no entry for warning stickers in my MLA handbook. What I find more appalling is that the sticker is obviously quoting a warning from another source, yet it makes no effort to give any credit to the original author.

I believe something needs to be done about this if the integrity of desk lamp warning stickers is to be maintained. I would go on, but it is late, and I am tired, and I just finished transcribing my desk lamp's warning sticker.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is probably, no no, this is definitely the best post on the best blog on the entire world wide web, and believe me, I have searched for better. Let me tell you what, that was a waste of time. I will never visit any other blog ever, because there is simply no point. In fact, I am pretty sure I will never do anything but visit this blog, because your words of wisdom and your insight sustain my body and commune with my soul.