Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Hurricane Katrina Calls Us Into Action

I seem to have missed something in the news.

About a week ago I heard some passing comment, like “I think there is a hurricane headed toward Florida, or something.” A hurricane in Florida is nothing new; it is unfortunate, but nothing new. For a journalism major, I don’t read the newspaper a lot. And while Google news is my homepage, I usually go straight to my e-mail before the page finishes loading, so I somehow missed Hurricane Katrina entirely.

That is until I read the front page of the Union-Tribune last Thursday. “Crisis deepens in the Gulf,” “Looters run wild as rule of law fails,” “Thousands feared dead as New Orleans is to be abandoned”: it was a lot to take in on one page.

In the following days I devoured the front page articles. A picture in Friday’s paper showed three children standing in eight inches of dirty water as they waited to board a Greyhound bus headed for Houston. Something about the barrel of an assult rifle framing the shot burned the image into my mind. Armed guards are the last thing I thought rescue crews would need, but apparently some members of society saw this as a good time to steal guns and start shooting people.

The stories and images draw me into philosophical, social, and political ranting. But then I am reminded, this isn’t a life lesson; this is people hurting. Hurricane Katrina is not a philosophical question, or a political platform, not yet. Hurricane Katrina isn’t a historic event, it just happened, and people are still dying as a result. People are still trapped, still hurt, still hungry. People are still heartbroken, wondering if there is a reason to keep living.

Now is not a time to sit around reflecting on the grand questions of the human condition. Now is a time to act. But what can I do? I want to be there, be amongst the hurting. I want to help. Can my sympathy comfort a 12-year-old girl who has just lost her home, not just her house, but her home—her yard, her school, her best friend’s front porch, her cat, the cereal section with the toys at the end? Can I tell her that there is more to life than things? Is now a good time to tell her that Jesus died for her sins? Maybe I should have done that a week ago.

So what can we do?

“He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” Micah 6:8.

We can start caring. We can let ourselves be affected. Read the paper and watch the news and realize that there is more happening here than rising gas prices. Find out what you can do, and do it.

Most of all, pray. Pray hard, pray sincerely, and pray a lot.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So what can we do? If we do all that you suggested we will have done a lot. As we go through life we will have "hands on" opportunities and at those times we want to accept the challenge. It can be as simple as helping someone broken down along the freeway. Big or small, they all count. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Oh great One said...

This is one of the best posts I have seen on this subject. I feel so helpless. I,like you, wish I could be there helping people holding their hands or what ever they needed. I had to settle for prayer and donations. It doesn't feel like enough.