Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Why I'm Glad I Can Mow Lawns

The following is an excerpt from the "author's notes" section of a non-fiction short story I submitted to one of my favorite professors for feedback. Her responses are italicized.

What is your initial impression of the story?
I don't think it succeeds yet at what you're up to.

Do you think this is worth submitting to the Driftwood in its present form?
It needs work.

Most importantly to me, is the story more than just "self-involved navel-gazing?"
no

5 comments:

Saint K said...

This is also why journalist colleagues of yours around the world are glad you can mow lawns.

Two Guns said...

You're a good friend.

Anonymous said...

Uh. I need context.

Also, the more attention you pay to the literary magazine, the longer it will stay around. Fight the man.

Two Guns said...

Does that mean submit something, or don't submit something? Who's the man, Harkins or Hill? Hm... for some reason I feel like that'll be harder to answer than it should be.

Anonymous said...

I love how livejournal will notify you when people reply to your comments, and I wish blogspot did that for commenters. I'm forgetful. Thus, here I am, recklessly abandoning comments all over cyberspace.

I originally meant "don't worry about someone saying you're unfit for the Driftwood because that publication is not worth your trouble." I was letting my feelings for the Mariner cloud my judgement, though. The Driftwood is fine. You can submit things to it. You can keep it alive.

"The man" referred to every student publication that doesn't get read and still sucks money from the ASB budget. This is me, moving on.